Sunday, August 16, 2009

My little baker

Today Sam and I decided to bake a cake. It's is one of her favorite things to do. We made a french recipe, a yogurt cake. My mom used to make yogurt cake with me all the time when I was a kid and I keep such wonderful memories of those moments. I sure hope Sam will remember these times later on just like I do.
The great thing about this recipe is that it's very good and SO simple to make!! I swear Sam could probably make it on her own. The ingredients are very basic: flour, sugar, 1 cup of yogurt, oil, baking powder and eggs...that's it. Oh and I just add a couple drops of vanilla extract.
Sam did everything by herself, I just helped with the dosage and breaking the egg shells.

As you can see, Anaïs was supervising our work from her high chair. LOL
Now, the best part: licking the spoon...or the cake mixer.LOL

Here is the before... And the after:
In France, we don't really put frosting on our cakes. I know I know, most Americans would say "but it's the best part!!!". This cake is VERY moist and rich with the yogurt so I really can't imagine putting frosting on it, besides I feel like the frosting would take over all the vanilla flavor of the cake.
I mentioned that Sam loves baking, however she doesn't really enjoy the cleaning up and waiting until the cake is baked part. So she just joined Anaïs who was cruising on the hardwood floor and had some fun with her.

Finally, we got to taste our cake for dessert, it was a success. :)
Also, tomorrow is a very exciting day for Sam: first day of kindergarten!!!! She is beyond excited! She is staying in the same school so the transition should be pretty easy. I will post pictures tomorrow.

8 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

The frosting is the BEST part ;) haha! Looks so yummy! What a great lil chef you have on your hands!

Laura Wolf said...

I'm with you on the frosting. I usually scrap it off of the cake. Too rich and it makes me sick. We love baking too. Your cake looked very yummy!! Great job Sam!!

Melissa Swartley said...

I'm not a cake person, but I still love to bake them! I think if I had to eat cake, I would scrape off the icing. Looks like they had soooo much fun baking! I love the pictures of your beautiful girls on the floor together! So sweet!

Greene Family said...

That cake looks yummy! I love the pictures of Sam and Anais playing together on the floor - so adorable!

Unknown said...

Mmm, looks so good! We love baking too, and that cake sounds awesome...would you post the whole recipe so we can try it? Great job baking, Sam!

Kasia and Amelia said...

Yum, Yum! Awesome cake and what an awesome baker! Our Polish cakes also come mainly without frosting - sometimes with chocolate, frosting only for Easter cakes. Good Luck tomorrow Sam!!!

Sarah said...

I actually prefer my cake with no frosting, and Jeff likes his plain with milk. So I bet i would love that cake.

Unknown said...

I like cake any way that I can get it. Frosting or no frosting. So what is that recipe? What kid doesn't love to bake and eat the batter. You've got yourself a great little baker!